Microfilm is still the favoured medium for preserving documents such as newspapers, serials and manuscripts.
It is reliable, durable, and more importantly IT independent with the added benefit of being easily duplicated and digitised for access.
W. & F. Pascoe has a comprehensive range of imaging equipment capable of accommodating a wide range of media for image capture. We welcome enquiries from individuals and institutions about projects of all sizes. Either way, we will give you our expert advice and outstanding service.
For services not listed here, or just to discuss your specific requirements, simply get in touch with us.
Many institutions combine microfilming with film scanning and OCR as a cost effective way to both preserve and enhance access to brittle and deteriorating print resources.
W. & F. Pascoe are recognised as the industry leader in Australia for microfilming and scanning historical and archival documents. Our microfilm is created on high contrast 35 mm silver halide microfilm and conforms to ISO Standards. Our people have regularly contributed to the development and upkeep of national and international standards for imaging technologies since 1957.
A feature of our service is that the preparation of materials for capture is standard. This includes page by page inspection for print quality and irregularities, plus collation of the latest most complete editions of the title. Internationally this is usually undertaken by the custodian.
Our Microfilming services include:
- Preparation of the material for filming- Quality Control “QC” checks to ensure completeness and target preparation.
- Preservation Microfilming on 35mm Silver Halide Master film.
- Comprehensive frame-by-frame QC of the completed Master film.
- Silver halide duplicating creating Duplicate Negatives and Copy Positives.
- All generations of films that we create are inspected to ensure that ISO Standards are met.
- Deep Tank Processing using Agfa Chemicals.
- Daily chemistry tests to check for Specific Gravity, Acidity, Density and Contrast.
- Weekly in-house tests for residual thiosulfate.
- Monthly Methylene Blue tests to detect residual thiosulfate done by an independent Laboratory.
This is the process of Duplicating existing Microfilm. We have an extensive collection of titles that you can purchase on Silver Halide film. If you have a collection where the user copies are damaged or lost, we can create new copies from the Master or Negative Intermediate where they exist and rights permit.
Your own microfilm?
If you have a collection where the user copies are damaged or lost, we can create new copies from the Master or Negative Intermediate where they exist and rights permit. We also manage sales of existing film on behalf of clients where they are the rights holder. Films can be ordered through this website (see Newspapers on Microfilm). We will process and dispatch the microfilm copies and can invoice the customer direct for you if you wish.
Master film Storage
Best Practice in Record management suggests that copies be stored in different locations, this ensures that in the event of a disaster you will have a copy that should survive.
We can offer the storage of your Master or Duplicate films.